|DELICIOUS VEG PAKORA|
Onion -finely diced -1
Fine Besan (gram/chick pea flour) - 1-cup
Finely diced Green Chili - 1 tbsp
Finely chopped Coriander - ¼ cup
Ajwain seeds optional - ¼ tsp
Red chili powder - Pinch of
Oil - 1 tbsp
Oil - For frying
Salt - To taste
HOW TO COOK:
- Mix together the dry ingredients: onion, fresh cilantro/coriander, green chili, salt and spices.
- Stir in the oil Slowly start adding water- till you get a nice thick batter.
- Once you have a smooth, thick and creamy batter, heat up the oil for frying in a wok or “Kadhai” (Indian wok)- the oil should come up at least 1/3rd of the way.
- Once the oil is hot (this takes about 2 minutes on medium high heat- you can also test the oil temperature by adding in a tiny drop of the batter- it should sizzle and rise to the top) then using a spoon, scoop up the batter and drop it into the oil, one scoop at a time.
- Do about 6 scoops at a time so you don't overcrowd the wok/kadhai and definitely start with a “test” batch of Pakoras to ensure you have the oil at the right temp (successful frying is all about oil temperature being perfect!), also taste your test batch to make sure you have enough salt in the batter etc.
- The Pakoras will sizzle and rise to the top and start to brown.
- Using a frying spoon or skimmer, toss the Pakoras over so they brown evenly on both sides- you don't need to fry them for too long- they cook pretty quickly.
- Once they are golden brown, transfer them over to a plate lined with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Then serve hot with coriander chutney!