Chholar(Bengal gram) Dal -100 gm
Green chillies - 3-4; slit length wise
Coconut. - 1 tbsp; finely chopped + 1 tbsp grated
Ginger paste -1 tsp
Fenugreek (methi) seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
Bay leaf -1
Oil/ Ghee - 2 tbsp
Sugar. - 1 tsp or according to taste
Salt. - as per taste
HOW TO COOK:
- Wash the dal well and pressure cook with 1 1/4 cup water.
- Allow 3 whistles and keep aside.
- Heat the oil/ ghee in a wok.
- Add cumin, fenugreek seeds and bay leaves.
- Add the chopped coconut and fry on a low flame till golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and fry for a minute.
- Add the dal, green chillies, salt and sugar.
- If required add water to get the desired consistency.
- This is a thick dal.
- Bring to boil, lower flame and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with grated coconut and hot.
- This dal is very popular in Bengal. Usually Serve it with luchi or puri.luchi or puri