The Bengali style chutney is easy to cook and good to eat too.This is a most favorite sweet dish in Bengal. I learn this recipe step by step from my mom.
Tomatoes - 250 gm, wash and sliced
Dates - 25 gms
Raisins - 15 gms
Panch Foron - 1/2 tsp
Dry Chillies - 2
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 5 tbsp
Oil - 1/2 tsp
HOW TO COOK:
- Heat oil in a wok and add the panch phoron and dry chillies.
- When the seeds are splutter, add the tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes for fry.
- When tender the tomatoes add sugar and salt.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking/ burning.
- Remove cover and add the dates and raisins.
- mix all the ingredients well.
- Now check on the seasoning and consistency of the chutney.
- Serve chilled in summer or at room temperature in winter.
- You can also serve the chutney with fried papad.
- Sometime I used jaggery substitute of sugar which gives a wonderful flavor and taste.
- You can also use Aamsotto Aamsotto to improve the taste.