It's a most popular delicious bengali fish recipe.A most useful combination of spices which gives it an exclusive flavor. This recipe made by my mom.
Hilsa fish - 1 kg cut cross- sectionally
Onion Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Green Chilies - 6-8 slit
Mustard Oil - 1 tbsp
Banana Leaf - 1 or 2 depending on size (optional)
HOW TO COOK:
- Clean, wash and dry the fish.
- Apply 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Wash the whole masala .Grind all to a fine paste along with 1/2 tsp salt and 2 green chillies.
- Apply this paste to the fish ,making sure all the pieces are well coated, and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Put the fish in a tightly lidded container.
- Pour 2 tsp mustard oil and 2-3 green chillies.
- Steam in a steamer/ large pan of boiling water for 20 - 25minutes.
- Check if the fish cooked.
- If required , steam for few minutes more.
- After cooking transfer the fish to a serving plate using a flat spoon, taking care not to break them.
- Garnish with the remaining mustard oil and green chillies and serve hot with plain rice.
If you want you cook this recipe with banana leaf. Take 1 marinated fish and fold it with banana leaf.Then steam it as the same way. If you cook this recipe in this way you will get a different flavor.